Friday, March 21, 2008

A Sordid Fairytale

I'm listening to Tori Amos and one of my favorite songs is " A Sorta Fairytale" from her most recent Album. Her songs are always so dark, strange, and enchanting. My relationship history is a sordid fairy tale as well. My story has been occupied by a colorful cast of characters: a gremlin from Armenia; wild beasts ; hermits, one from the red desert; a evil wizard from the Texas; a pretentious bear from the valley and a Canadian Gnome. I have never been one for Prince Charmings, something about pure perfection that seems unnatural. I much prefer a gnome or a hermit to a prince any day; they are more interesting and fun to date.

I don't identify to this fairy tale analogy because I am a woman who wants to be rescued or carried off in a white Audi 5000 by my Charming Prince but because the mythical landscape of dating and romantic relationships is a strangle realm. You can lose your head as easily as you can lose your heart. There is no telling, the terrains, canyons, forests, and deserts once transverse in the mythical land of fairy tales.There are no tangible lifelines except a good partner, blind faith, an abundance of trust, and an open heart.

Once upon a time a Canadian Gnome and a moon-faced Asian princess met in a dorm full of bad food, odd smells, merry men, damsels in distress, gossip queens, and grey walls. They were opposites and everyone saw this and they knew it too. But for some mystical reason or another they got along well and the apple -checked Gnome made the moon-faced Princess laugh. They were happy together for many moons and hundreds of fortnights.
One day during a walk together they came upon a huge fortress of stone. The monolithic stone walls were covered with green ivy and the Iron gate appeared to be locked. The princess wanted to turn back, but the gnome wanted to continue forward. She urged the gnome to go back before it got dark,
" I'm scared" she whispered.
"It's alright, princess, we'll take and look and see if the gate is surpassable".
The Gnome walked to the rustic iron gate and shaked the lock a couple of times till it shook loose. " Come on, let's go in" encouraged the Gnome.
"What if we are caught? What if there are snakes? What if -"
"It'll be okay, I'll protect you" reassured the gnome.
The princess hesitated for a moment and walk and few steps forward where the gnome reached out his hand for her to hold. The princess took his hand and they went beyond the walls and the gate. Once inside they couldn't believe their eyes, an unending field of gold sunshine, vibrant colored wild flowers, willow trees, and the air smelled of juniper. They ran into the field of gold, chasing each other until they fell under the arm of a huge willow tree and fell asleep with smiles on their faces and glee in their hearts.
The princess slowly open her eyes to the night and saw that the once-vibrant flowers were wilted and lifeless and fallen to the ground. The rich gold fields had disappeared leaving a barren and fruitless desert. The willow trees looked like huge monsters in the dark their arms swaying to the rough winds.
"Wake up Gnome!" urged the princess. " Look at what our golden paradise has turned into, I getting out of here".
The princess started running for the gate.
" Wait Princess, Wait for me".
The princess turned around at the gnome in flash of rage,
" Let me go, I told you this was a bad idea, why didn't you listen to me!" scowled the princess. " "We can fight get through this , if we stay together." urged the gnome.
" I want to go home!, I can't see anything, I am scared, I need light!"
"Be still" the Gnome said, " We can huddle next to each other to stay warm and wait for the light".
" I don't know if I have it in me to wait"
" I'll wait with you , and I will fight for you to gain the courage to get through this night. I promise we'll see light again."
The Canadian Gnome reached out his hand to the moon-faced princess. She was scared and her heart was beating out of her chest, but she met his reach. He lead her under the willow tree where they had slept, cradled her in his little gnome arms. They closed there eyes and went to sleep.
They woke up to the golden light.
The Gnome and princess decided to stay and live there for the remainder of their days. The princess knew that no matter how many nights there laid ahead , as long as she and the gnome were together, the light would always prevail.

1 comment:

Nittle said...

A grand tale, indeed! Great to see you and the gnome in the bay area this week. Hope your break recharged your power-crystals for the long voyage ahead. Peace, kiddo!