Sunday, March 2, 2008

The art of good experience

Yesterday, I bought the funniest little book by Ashleigh Brilliant, " Now that I have Given Up Hope, I feel much Better". The book is a composite of funny, and profoundly insightful thoughts and sayings. All thoughts are original and come from the sensible inner workings of a "Brilliant" writer. I found myself not able to put the book down or finish reading it. It isn't very long at all or difficult and trying to read ( like Henry James), but I suspect it's because every time I pick the book up, the thoughts and sayings seem to read new again, like the first time. They are simple quotes and sayings that are so obvious yet so easy to forget. It tickles me submarine yellow to have discovered such a find, let me share some of my favorites:

"Let's make it definite, I'll see you when I see you."
I'm not getting Paid much for staying alive, but it's a good experience,"
" If enough heads hit a brick wall, the wall comes crashing down"
" Everyone is entitled to my opinion"

In other news,
I think Nathan and I have found a place to live next year. We are hoping to move into a little one-bedroom apartment behind the house he lives at currently. It gets good natural light and it's quite spacious for a one bedroom unit, it also has this awesome Octagon window situated in the kitchen. It makes me feel like I'm living in a submarine underwater. I can't wait to move in together. I currently live as a nomad, migrating from one end of town to the next in fashionable hemp boots and a GAP parka. I can't wait to finally have all my stuff in one place. I know it's a simple request but the hike to my house every time I need fresh socks is getting the better of me. In another way, I feel I am tapping into the 1/8 part of me that is of Mongolian Descent. Those Mongolian roots are working hard.

I have spent most of this sunny Arcata day facing my laptop, revising a paper for my research class. A sunny day in Humboldt should never be neglected for anything, especially homework. It's becoming more of common occurrence now in the budding stages of spring for Humboldt to have sunny days, but most of the year it is stoically steel grey and foggy. I wished I could have welcomed the sunny day in flipflops,tank top, lemonade, and a smile on the Northern California coastline. It ok, sunny days to come all month.

I find the art of revision is a more difficult task than the initial writing of a first draft. A second or third draft requires so much more patience and thoughtful analysis and participation. One can't be lazy in a revising, it's a painstaking task in careful observation of something I feel I know well.I feel so good when I finish because I have surprised myself by the better place I got my paper to venture then I had initially expected. This feeling speaks to me on many days and in many ways.

One thought my friend Kim said,
"Everything that takes love . . .takes work."

Mood: enlightened
Listening to: a still sunset






No comments: