Monday, March 3, 2008

pleasure at a measure

Today started busy but got progressively more relaxing, which is usually the progression of most days,but today it happen a lot sooner. By 1:30pm I was done and have had a pretty relaxing afternoon.

I wish I had more interesting and unique things planned for time, but most of my time off is spent folding the laundry I've left in the dryer the last three days or searching for ever more garlicky hummus recipes, paying bills or just lazing about with Nathan in front of the big TV, with ice cream and a movie. It never ceases to amaze me how these simple tasks could give me so much joy and tranquility.

In my earlier years, I would not have been satisfied with plain domestic tasks. I use to work very early mornings at a certain gourmet food store, so I would never have the opportunity to indulge in early morning nights. Every opportunity I got, Kirsten and I would venture out from suburbia and into Hollywood club scene. I remember us dressed in our most "indie" gear swimming in black and blue lighting, mod projections on the wall, and all " the New Order " music you could stomach. We would dance, jump, and sweat our way into the wee hours of Saturday morning with all the "indie" kids, feeling like superstars that were way to cool for jobs, bills,and early mornings. Afterwards we topped off the night with greasy food at our favorite Jewish pit stop, Canters. Then we would drive the 25 miles back into the San Gabriel Mountains on a quiet freeway, my heart soring and my feet hurting.

I recall those days with much fondness and am really happy that I am in a place where I can appreciate those past party moments and even better, find just as much glee in the more domestic and simple pleasures of life. I know some of you may be reading this and think that I am not domestic but rather domesticated, well for those late-nighters out there: " Still livin' the Dream, Baby, I am still livin' the Dream."

3 comments:

Nittle said...

Wong "domesticated?" May it never be so. Glad that the quiet life has so much reward for you. Peace, sista!

The Wong Word said...

You taught me well, nittle man, all I can say is you taught me well.

coffeejunkie79 said...

Geez I miss my Wong.

When can I come to visit or meet up with you in San Fran?